Thursday 5 February 2009

Book One - Hansen's Odyssey Begins

Hello all.

I realise that I am starting a rather daunting task...but a very enjoyable one to me nonetheless.

The Guardian supplements I mentioned broke down the 1000 novels into 7 genres, which are:
  • Love
  • Crime
  • State of the Nation
  • Comedy
  • Family & Self
  • Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • War and Travel

I dutifully went through each list, circling the novels from each genre that I had already read. I found the genres I had read most of were Love and State of the Nation. I really have to catch up on my Crime.

SO...where to begin? Genre? Author? Familiarity? I decided to go with a bit of both.

I ventured out to the Redbridge Central Library today to start my literary journey. This library is the best in my area, and I suspect (like Lisa Simpson) I will be on a first name basis with the staff as I troop back and forth to borrow my copious amounts of reading material.

I checked out Dombey & Son and Hard Times by Charles Dickens and The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. Both Dickens novels are from the State of the Nation genre, and The Mill on the Floss is from the Love genre. I chose the Dickens because, as a huge Dickens fan, I feel it is a personal crime that I have not completed my consumption of his works. The Mill on the Floss I chose because the Guardian calls it Eliot's most autobiographical work of fiction, and I am intrigued.

So...I start with Hard Times, a Dickens which I have been meaning to read for a long time.

I will keep posts on what I think of the books I read, good or bad. I will publish a complete list of the novels I will be reading...it's obviously not quite 1000, but it will be one heckuva lot.

And of course, I will be customising my blog with photos, quotes, links, the lot. I'm new to this blogging thing, so be patient! And keep checking in on me! I appreciate reviews if you've read any of the books, comments, etc. All is welcome.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. So cool! A literary blog! GREAT!!! Too bad you can't post the actual list; I would love to see it. Is it online??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's at the Guardian website.

    www.guardian.co.uk/1000novels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. 1,000 books, I have to say I'm impressed at how high you have set your goals. Any idea of how many books you get through in a year?
    and did the Guardian say that people there had read 1000 books each? Has any one person there read those 1000 books? If so, and these are the best 1000 of all the books they have read, they must be into the millions for one person by now. Which isn't likely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, each supplement had about 15 reviewers, so I would guess that collectively, yes, they had read the chosen 1000 novels.

    To answer your first question...I'm a fairly speedy reader, so I will set myself a goal of...75. Pretty high, but I might as well go for it!

    ReplyDelete